The Slave Church, Cape Town(2018)
The Slave Church is the oldest existing mission building in South Africa and the third oldest church in the country. The gabled cream and white façade with Corinthian pilasters, cornices and mouldings, mimics that of the Slave Lodge at the top of Adderley Street.
The building was probably constructed by slaves and free blacks for general religious activities and to prepare converts for membership of established churches. It became a separate congregation of the SA Missionary Society in 1819 and part of the Dutch Reformed Church in 1937. The church was in use until 1971 when dwindling numbers as a result of forced removals led to its closure.
The exhibition focuses on acknowledging the first eight enslaved people to be baptised here. This is commemorated in the printing of their names on the backs of the pews as can be seen in the photographs.